The Clarisonic and the Foreo Luna are two of the most popular skin cleansing brushes on the market. But which one is better? Which cleansing tool will change your life? And are they really worth the money? This review will give you the full low down. Should you get the Clarisonic or Foreo?
I am lucky enough to own both. Or should I say “crazy enough”. I purchased a Clarisonic Mia around three years ago, and got hold of a Foreo Luna about a year ago. So it’s fair to say I have plenty of experience with both of them!
This is the most basic model available when it comes to the Clarisonic, and it has served me well. I can’t comment on the other models, but in general they are all similar.
Price: $150 plus the individual brush heads which need to be replaced every few months are $32
Battery Life: Average. Needs to be charged every few weeks.
How It Works: The rotating brush head scrubs away at your skin and removes every last trace of dirt and makeup. There are different brushes available and I prefer the Delicate brush as it is really gentle.
- Completely gets rid of any makeup, probably more than you even realise is on your skin!
- Really deep clean which helps to clear up pimples and blackheads.
- Skin feels soft after using.
- A body brush can also be attached to the more expensive models for an all over scrub.
- Can be too harsh for sensitive skin
- Replacing brushes regularly can be very expensive.
- Battery life is not very long and requires regular charging.
- A little cumbersome to clean, especially if a lot of makeup has been caught on the brush.
This is the top model of the Foreo and as well as the cleansing mode it includes an anti-ageing mode. Basically you hold the Foreo Luna at certain points across your face and it gives you a little vibrating massage to relax your muscles.
Price: $249 or $179 for the Mini
Battery Life: Excellent. I have charged my Foreo Luna once in the past year, and the battery wasn’t even dead. I was going on a trip and thought I should do it before I left.
How It Works: The Foreo is an all silicone device that vibrates as you brush it across your skin – they call it “T-Sonic” technology. There are different designs for various skin types – I have the Normal Foreo Luna which has little silicone bristles at the top.
- Leaves skin feeling incredibly soft, smooth and more refined. My skin has never felt this nice before.
- Serums and moisturisers seem to absorb better after cleansing with the Foreo Luna
- Multiple speeds available so you can clean around the eyes without damaging skin
- One time cost
- An excellent travel size
- Totally waterproof and can be left in the shower
- Extremely easy to clean – just rinse with water
- Anti-ageing mode really does make your face feel relaxed (can’t comment on whether or not it actually reduces signs of ageing though!)
- Doesn’t completely remove really heavy makeup
- If you like the feeling of a “deep cleanse” you won’t get it with the Foreo Luna.
- Doesn’t do much for pimples and blackheads
Product Preferences: I use the same cleanser with both, Payot Les Absolute Pure White Mousse Clarte. You should avoid any grainy scrubs with both the Clarisonic and the Foreo Luna.
Day To Day: I tend to alternate between the two, and there are days where I don’t use either. If I have been wearing a lot of make up or my skin is more congested I’ll use the Clarisonic. I’m more likely to reach for the Foreo Luna in the morning or after a day spent entirely at home. I tend to find that the Clarisonic does a better job of actually cleaning my face, I’m never sure if the Foreo has removed all my makeup.
Price Wars: The Clarisonic Mia is a cheaper initial purchase, but at the end of the day the Foreo Luna is more cost effective because you don’t need to purchase any extra brush heads. If you purchase a Foreo Mini or one of the more expensive Clarisonic models the initial price difference becomes a moot point and the Foreo is automatically better value.
Travel: The Foreo Luna is much easier to travel with than the Clarisonic. The Clarisonic can take a few hours to dry after using, while the Foreo Luna can be wiped down quickly and dries really fast. It’s also smaller and lighter and comes with a little carry bag.
The Verdict: It’s hard to say that one of these is better than the other. The Clarisonic does a better job at actually cleaning skin, while the Foreo Luna improves the texture and feel. If you have pimples, blackheads and congestion I would steer you towards the Clarisonic. If your issues relate more to dryness, dull skin or you want to focus on anti-ageing then the Foreo Luna is for you. And if you’re like me just get both!
Let me know in the comments if you’re a Foreo girl or a Clarisonic girl!